Monday, March 9, 2009

An Open Letter to a Romance Novel Hero

Bastian Toussaint
c/oAnne Stuart
Black Ice

March 4, 2009


Dear Bastien,


But for the whole spy thing, you totally remind me of my ex-boyfriend. I am not exaggerating. You are him, down to the refusal to actually give a straight answer to even the most innocuous of questions. In fact, I have a deeply held suspcion that Anne Stuart may have actually based you on my ex-boyfriend. I have no proof of this because such evidence couldn't possibly exist. Yet, there you are . . .  or he is . . . or whatever, on the pages of a book. Dude, you even fuck like him. It's kind of scary, I'm not going to lie. Maybe Anne Stuart dated my ex-boyfriend or knew somebody who did. This is actually plausible since the ex is the living embodiement of the Duke of Slut. How he hasn't contracted syphillis is a wonder. Perhaps he, and you, too, has some sort of deviant immunity to sexually transmitted diseases. That would make sense as I'm pretty sure you are both Scorpios and as everyone knows, Scorpios are in league with Satan. It isn't a very good league. The Scorpios just exchanged their immortal souls for the superhuman ability to whore-it-up without any consequences and to succeed in their revenge plots against all would be detractors.


You know Bastien, you really aren't all that different from the other Anne Stuart heroes. For example, you are pretty much the contemporary version of Christian from Waltz with the Devil. So it isn't just you that is modelled on my ex-boyfriend.  All your fellow Stuartian heroes are just versions of him in different settings. This is why it doesn't surprise me that you ended up with Chloe or that Christian ends up with Annelise. Some readers would question such pairings: uber-dark hero/ordinary gal. Seems a stretch, right? But not me. No, no. I get it. Why? I've lived that scenario. I was Chloe . . . you know, sans the happy ending but then there is no happy ending with a guy like you in real life. Why? Because you are infuriating bastard. Asking someone how they are doing is not a violation of privacy nor is calling them in the middle of the day to see what they want for dinner. Just saying, man. You need to get some perspective. I can only hope for Chloe's sake that you actually do mellow out in the future. Also, having emotions is not a sign of weakness to your enemies or even your friends, for that matter. 


In any case, Bastien. I'm glad you realized that life sucks without someone to share it with. Or rather, it sucks worse without someone to share it with. Weirdly, I actually think you are going to end up being a decent dad, all evidence to the contrary. Just don't get your panties in too much of a twist about grades. They really aren't that big a deal as long as the kid passes. And seriously, with all that spy money you can surely afford to send the kid to a good college without a scholarship.


Best wishes,


Angela


P.S. Say hi to my ex for me at the Annual Scorpio Sex and Death Ball. 


                                                                                                                                                                                                           

4 comments:

Laura Vivanco said...

That does sound scary. Now I feel very glad that I've never come across a character in a novel who resembles anyone I know. I have seen one novel with a hero on the cover who looked very, very like my brother, though. That was a bit weird.

lazaraspaste said...

Oh, it is scary. To the point I made my friend read it just to confirm I wasn't blowing things out of proportion. Turns out, I am not.

Anne Stuart said...

Been reading the discussion over at the other site and saw this link. Fascinating stuff. the interesting thing is, I'm Taurus with Scorpio rising. I'm a nice, cuddly normal person with a dark, crazy streak. Hence the dark crazy heroes and the normal, nice heroines. Not that my heroines are all Taurus. But my heroes are either Scorpio or Scorpio rising -- good catch.
Bastien says hey.

lazaraspaste said...

Holy Crap! It is so rare that a person's interpretation gets vindicated by the actual author. Not to brag too much, but I am somewhat of a Scorpio expert. I know everyone thinks they are the devil, but as they pop into my life with such persistent regularity (even in the form of fictional characters), I've a very fond place in my heart for the whole cthonic batch of 'em. Thank you for commenting, it was a lovely suprise/break from grading freshman comp papers.

Post a Comment